Re: Preliminary ELF prebinding patches available.

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:34:56 +0200
On Tue, 27 May 2003 00:34:18 +0300 (EEST)
Narvi <narvi_at_haldjas.folklore.ee> wrote:

> > Hence you need to generate it after you install, reinstall, upgrade
> > and remove packages. This means you have to collect more dependency
> > information beyond what we have now if you want to automate it. If
> > you don't automate it, prebinding will very likely not be used. It
> > will either not be created in the first place or will be stale and
> > unusable within weeks.
> >

> The problem is more that say after upgarding libpng or libfreetype or
> libglib or similar, you will have to update way too large amount of
> prebinding caches or lose all the benefits. And this despitethe factthat
> no actual symbol information changed.

What if someone calculates the ID which is at the moment called
"BUILDID" based upon the exported symbols (e.g. concat the names of
those symbols to one large string and hash it... or something like
this), would this solve this problem (I haven't looked at the patch)?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
              The best things in life are free, but the
                expensive ones are still worth a look.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net