Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: Chris BeHanna <chris_at_pennasoft.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:49:06 -0400
On Tuesday 27 May 2003 08:43, David Leimbach wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > Yes, see for example the GPL_ed floating point emulator.
> >
> > However the idea is that all GPL infected stuff be isolated, allowing a
> > fully working kernel without GPL stuff in there.
>
> Sounds like a "kernel module" is the way to go then.  Perhaps it
> could exist in the ports tree instead of the mainline kernel sources
> :).  I know I'd be happy with that... the problem is hosting the
> driver since I am sure "patching" it won't be enough to map the
> linux innards to freebsd's.

    Get someone to pair with you and do a clean-room implementation.
One of you studies the GPL'd driver and writes a specification.  The
other writes a BSD-licensed driver from the specification, BUT NEVER
ONCE LOOKS AT THE GPL'D SOURCE.

    Virus removed.

--
Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com