Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: Scott Long <scott_long_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 21:47:43 -0600
Q wrote:
> Don't overreact.

Heh.  I live this hell every day with Linux in my day job.

> I'm not suggesting taking the linux approach of
> versioning every module. But rather allowing the loader or a module
> (most likely a 3rd part or from a port) the ability to make a decision
> based on some internal revision/date based "version" as to whether it is
> safe to proceed to load.

Ideally, every API would be versioned, and developers would be careful
to architect their work so that the interfaces would be stable and
gratuitous incompatibilities would be avoided.  Alas, that is not always
the case.

> I am thinking of ports like rtc, ltmdm or Vmware here.. where it is not
> uncommon that they require reinstalling after an upgrade. I have
> experienced kernel panics on several occasions from out of date vmware
> kernel modules.

I'm really of the opinion that these ports should either live in the
sys/ tree, or that magic should be devised to make sure that they are
built along with the rest of the modules.

Scott