Re: Kernel module inconsistency was policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: Q <q_dolan_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 28 May 2003 15:20:02 +1000
Yes, I'm aware of the implications.. I was merely proposing a "ports
legal" way of achieving the same result that Mike put forward without
stuffing a foreign module into /boot. Although, like I said, this is not
really a long term solution to the problem.

All the port's originating kernel modules I am aware of use
/usr/local/etc/rc.d scripts to load the module, and would therefore work
with my suggested approach.

If you manually loaded it using /boot/loader.conf you would need to put
the module into /boot/kernel anyway, which would get moved out the next
time you installed a new kernel.

I guess the real question is which is more acceptable to the average
user. Reinstalling a couple of ports each time you install a new kernel,
or risking a kernel panic by not doing it?

Obviously it would be better if you only needed to reinstall something
only IF it was really required, but unless their is some alternative way
of knowing this before loading the module it's hard to determine when
that might be without causing a kernel panic.

Seeya...Q