Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: Harti Brandt <brandt_at_fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 10:49:51 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 28 May 2003, Marcin Dalecki wrote:

MD>Scott Long wrote:
MD>> Q wrote:
MD>>
MD>>> Don't overreact.
MD>>
MD>>
MD>> Heh.  I live this hell every day with Linux in my day job.
MD>>
MD>>> I'm not suggesting taking the linux approach of
MD>>> versioning every module. But rather allowing the loader or a module
MD>>> (most likely a 3rd part or from a port) the ability to make a decision
MD>>> based on some internal revision/date based "version" as to whether it is
MD>>> safe to proceed to load.
MD>>
MD>>
MD>> Ideally, every API would be versioned, and developers would be careful
MD>> to architect their work so that the interfaces would be stable and
MD>> gratuitous incompatibilities would be avoided.  Alas, that is not always
MD>> the case.
MD>>
MD>NO no and again no. This would repeat the same design mistake
MD>that is already in Linux. On API level you DO NOT WANT versioning.
MD>What you really want is: type signature cheking. Like for example
MD>done through C++ symbol mangling rules. If you can't do it like that
MD>then better leave it off as it is. Versioning in itself

Type signature checking doesn't help you if the semantics of an API change
without type changes. APIs should be semantically and syntactically stable
in -STABLE. In -CURRENT they are expected to change. Managing a 3rd party
driver for current is a nightmare, but may no be necessary once we have a
-STABLE based on FreeBSD5.

harti
--
harti brandt,