Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: Marcin Dalecki <mdcki_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:07:32 +0200
Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003 18:39, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>
>>: > : Maybe the kernel build stuff can look in /usr/local/src/sys/modules
>>: > : for things to build or something..
>>: >
>>: > YUCK!
>>:
>>: *WHY?*
>>:
>>: I have asked this before BTW, and I haven't been told why it sucks.
>>
>>Because there are other, more elegant ways of dealing with these
>>things.  I don't like /usr/local/src anything, which was the main
>>complaint.
>

> If there are more elegant solutions I would like to know what they are.

Trivial:

./buildmykernel

where buildmykernel contains something along the lines of:

#!/bin/sh
# My rebuild procedure
( cd /usr/src/; make buildkernel; make installkernel ) && \
( cd /usr/ports/comms/ltxxx; make; make deinstall; make reinstall )

Don't forget the shell! Automatin is the easiest way to handle
repeating tasks. As an added bonus it is documenting the decisions you have
made.