Re: mb alloc and: panic: mutex Giant not owned at ../../../vm/vm_kern.c:315

From: David Malone <dwmalone_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:28:20 +0100
> > This may be my fault, as I made some changes recently that assumed that
> > the mbuf allocator grabbed giant when needed. I'll check the code path
> > you've mentioned to see if it grabs giant now, but I suspect that I just
> > need to move the giant grabbing back where it was before.

> This doesn't seem to be a reproduceable problem for me, FWIW, (presumably
> a property of bucket sizes, etc) so you have all the information I have
> :-).

You'd have to be quite unlucky to trigger it (calling sendit at a
time when a per-cpu mbuf pool was empty). I have a vague feeling
that my sendit change isn't the only place that does this.

> If possible, we should get this fix in for 5.1?

Yep - from what Bosko says, my change shouldn't have been safe.
I'll produce a patch and run it by him, and then talk to re_at_.

	David.