Re: gbde Performance - 35Mb/s vs 5.2 MB/s

From: James Tanis <jtanis_at_alumni.clemson.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:09:51 -0400
On Wed, 28 May 2003 11:40:27 +0100
Paul Richards <paul_at_freebsd-services.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 10:11:19AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> > >If this is so important, why isn't this the default?
> >
> > Because I have no way of knowing that peple will in fact be using
> > UFS/FFS on the GBDE encrypted partition, and even if they do, I have
> > no way of knowing the fragment size they will use.
> >
> > I considered making the sectorsize a mandatory argument, but decided
> > against it.  Maybe I was wrong.
>
> It might make more sense to mandate an argument that indicates what
> filesystem they intend to put on top of it and then base the defaults
> from that. It would be more user friendly.

	Yes, but that would unnecessarily limit the program. A new file system would wind up being unsupported, of course that would not matter if it wasn't mandatory or there was some sort of "other" designation.. but that would begin to kill the point of the additional argument in the first place. Seems to me the program would be better served with more documentation then a user-friendly interface considering its age and experimental nature.
TTYL,
James