Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: Juli Mallett <jmallett_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:54:07 -0500
* Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au> [ Date: 2003-05-28 ]
	[ w.r.t. Re: policy on GPL'd drivers? ]
> > : I guess the problem with mandating somewhere in $PREFIX is that the
> > : loader can't load it, so that's no good. I guess the only choice left is
> > : /boot/modules.
> >
> > /boot/kernel
> >
> > : Any comments?
> >
> > Well, the patch was mostly a strawman to promote discussions about the
> > issues.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> I think the port should install the source for the module in $PREFIX somewhere
> (well known) and the module should live in /boot/kernel.
>
> When things need rebuilding it uses the installed source to do so..

Jumping in a bit late as I thought someone would point this out, but
I thought that 3rd-party modules would live in /boot/modules?

Also, as for them being tied to kernel configs at minimum, definitely,
and I'd say that maybe /boot/modules should have e.g. foobar-IDENT.ko
and a symlink to it from /boot/kernel.IDENT/foobar.ko or something,
where IDENT is the kernel IDENT, that way multiple copies of a given
3rd-party module could exist, and probably we'd want to do something
similar to the .old shuffling we do with kernels, anyway.

Just a thought.  Just putting them *with* each kernel does seeem a lot
more direct, for sure, but I'd feel less gross adding a new symlink
than copying one from an existing directory, which could be crudded
up with $DEITY knows what.

Thanx,
juli.
--
juli mallett. email: jmallett_at_freebsd.org; efnet: juli;