Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: Juli Mallett <jmallett_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 19:00:57 -0500
* "M. Warner Losh" <imp_at_bsdimp.com> [ Date: 2003-05-28 ]
	[ w.r.t. Re: policy on GPL'd drivers? ]
> In message: <20030528185407.A97781_at_FreeBSD.org>
>             Juli Mallett <jmallett_at_FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> : Jumping in a bit late as I thought someone would point this out, but
> : I thought that 3rd-party modules would live in /boot/modules?
>
> third party binary only modules.  If you have source, for some
> definition of having source, to rebuild from, then it makes the most
> sense to keep it directly with the kernel.  I'd not bother with
> symlinks as that just makes things more complicated and I'm not sure
> what gain you get from it.

I'm just curious how the third-party modules are kept around properly
across installkernel/buildkernel.  Did you get MAKEOBJDIR/MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX
stuff working in the kernel build dir with ports modules?  I'm glad we
aren't doing the realpath(3) thing in Make anymore, if so, as I doubt
I'm the only one with one hell of a convoluted setup in that sort of
thing.

And thanks for clearing up that that was binary-only ones, that makes
a bit more sense I suppose, assuming we're handling the module installs
all properly.

Thanx,
juli.
--
juli mallett. email: jmallett_at_freebsd.org; efnet: juli;