Re: Libthr stable enough for testing

From: James Tanis <jtanis_at_alumni.clemson.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 20:51:00 -0400
On Thu, 29 May 2003 20:16:33 -0400
Mike Makonnen <mtm_at_identd.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 May 2003 18:28:26 -0400
> James Tanis <jtanis_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to find out for sure that the programs are now using libthr? As
> >far as I can tell they should be, but I'd like to have a definitive answer.
>
> try: fstat -m /usr/lib/libthr.so.1
>
> This should show you any running applications that have it loaded.
>

> Huh. Between both fstat and lsof, I seem to have done something wrong, unless > mapping libthr to libc_r with rtld hides the fact that it is actually libthr being > accessed and not libc_r.. which I would seriously doubt, since that wouldn't seem > to make since *shrug*. Guess I'll just make the symlink as I'm not sure what I've > done wrong.

  Scratch that, it's amazing what one can mess up when your tired.. somehow the libmap.conf that I thought I had created either ceased to exist, got saved as a totally different name in some random directory, or the whole experience was a figment of my imagination. After writing another libmap.conf, fstat definately shows libthr being accessed over libc_r and everything seems stable, performing just as well as libc_r to the naked eye. This of course is only after 15 minutes or so with gnome2 and a few other programs. Is there any information I can find as to the technical differences and/or advantages to libthr over libc_r? Are there any programs or situations (other then those caused by more experimental code) in which libc_r would be better suited then libthr?
TTYL,
James