Re: 5.1-RELEASE TODO

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 03:32:56 +0200
On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 05:39:58PM -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 08:18:10PM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 May 2003, Scott Long wrote:
> >
> > > It's been a matter of not having enough time, nothing more.  I *will*
> > > address this one way or another before the release.  I apologize for
> > > taking so long.
> >
> > Ditto, here, unfortunately.  I managed to hose my sparc64 box a couple of
> > weeks ago trying to upgrade it to run precisely these tests, but haven't
> > had time to figure out how to recover it.
>
> no need to apologize, as i said i am perfectly fine with people not
> having time, and surely the RE team is taken by more urgent issues
> these days. My mail was meant just as a reminder, nothing more.
>
> As for the patch i posted: i don't claim it to be perfect, it might
> contain some trivial bug such as passing the wrong variable to a
> function, but hopefully those are things that a programmer who has
> access to the box can find out and fix very quickly.

:)
And I hoped a programmer who knows the source could find out and fix
very quickly.
To be honest - I did not investigate the reason for the failure as
there were other things on my todo list.
Well after getting some sleep I will check that again.

Nevertheless here are the stack traces again - in case someone else can
identify the cause in the meantime:
cicely12# ipfw flush
Are you sure? [yn] y

Flushed all rules.
cicely12# ipfw show
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
cicely12# May 23 17:09:50 cicely12 kernel: pid 601 (ipfw), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
cicely12# gdb /usr/obj/var/d3/FreeBSD-2003-05-22/src/sbin/ipfw/ipfw ipfw.core
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "alpha-undermydesk-freebsd"...
Core was generated by `ipfw'.
#0  0x120044794 in bcopy ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x120044794 in bcopy ()
#1  0x120001564 in show_ipfw (rule=0x1200ac000, pcwidth=3, bcwidth=5)
    at /var/d3/FreeBSD-2003-05-22/src/sbin/ipfw/ipfw2.c:818
(gdb)

cicely12# ipfw add allow ip from any to any
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
cicely12# May 23 17:13:40 cicely12 kernel: pid 644 (ipfw), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
#0  0x120044794 in bcopy ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x120044794 in bcopy ()
#1  0x120001564 in show_ipfw (rule=0x120099cb0, pcwidth=10, bcwidth=10)
    at /var/d3/FreeBSD-2003-05-22/src/sbin/ipfw/ipfw2.c:818
warning: Hit beginning of text section without finding
warning: enclosing function for address 0x8
This warning occurs if you are debugging a function without any symbols
(for example, in a stripped executable).  In that case, you may wish to
increase the size of the search with the `set heuristic-fence-post' command.

Otherwise, you told GDB there was a function where there isn't one, or
(more likely) you have encountered a bug in GDB.
(gdb)

ticso_at_bwct.de                                  info_at_bwct.de