Re: Dualbooting STABLE & CURRENT

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 16:20:49 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Steve Wingate wrote:

> I need some help dual booting STABLE & CURRENT. I have two SCSI disks
> with:
> STABLE taking the entire first disk (works fine)
> CURRENT taking the first 1/3 of the second disk and
> backup data taking the remaining 2/3 of the second disk.
>
> I have installed CURRENT (at least 8 times) but I cannot get it to boot.
> Choosing F1 on booteasy boots STABLE. Choosing F5 boots nothing but it
> then shows an F2 entry for FreeBSD. I choose F2 and nothing happens. I
> have tried boot easy on the first disk, the second disk, both disks and
> nothing seems to work. I have tried making both slices making bootable and
> every possible derivative I can think of. What am I missing here?

"Nothing happens" probably means "its beeping but I can't hear it" :)

If that happens, its because boot0 and the BIOS can't figure out how to
reach the partition, generally because the geometry is wrong.  Try zeroing
off the front end of the disk, partitioning it with DOS FDISK, then put
FreeBSD on it.