Re: possible NIS/ACL bug?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:22:28 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Mark Nipper wrote:

> 	Uh oh!  It's that last part where there are the two extra
> entries for the two ACL added groups, but no GID seems to have been
> stored with each entry, whereas the example in the daemon news article
> does actually show GID's in these places.
>
> 	So I assume this is an NIS/ACL bug of some kind?  Both my uid
> and gid as well as both the gid's above (nes and loki) are mapped via
> NIS.  If anyone needs me to do anything else, let me know.  I don't feel
> nearly competent enough to start debugging the source for get/setfacl to
> try to grok any of this.  :)

Yes, in 5.1 there was a bug in the libc acl_to_text() code that ommitted
the group name when the effective permissions granted by an additional
group ACL entry was not the same as the set permissions.  This was fixed
in src/lib/libc/posix1e/acl_to_text.3:1.11:

  revision 1.11
  date: 2003/07/24 23:33:25;  author: rwatson;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -2
  Print group name in getfacl output when calculating an effective
  permission set based on a more restrictive mask.

  Submitted by:   Glen Gibb <grg_at_ridley.unimelb.edu.au>

The change has not been merged to RELENG_5_1 as that branch is currently
owned by the security-officer team for advisories only.  If you pull
acl_to_text.3 forward to 1.11 and rebuild libc + getfacl, it should be
corrected.  The bug will be fixed "out of the box" in 5.2.

Thanks!

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories