Re: Was: More ULE bugs fixed. Is: Mouse problem?

From: Jeremy Messenger <mezz7_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 03:04:43 -0600
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:10:36 -0500 (EST), Jeff Roberson
<jroberson_at_chesapeake.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Eirik Oeverby wrote:
>
>> Eirik Oeverby wrote:
>> > Just for those interested:
>> > I do *not* get any messages at all from the kernel (or elsewhere) when
>> > my mouse goes haywire. And it's an absolute truth (just tested back
>> and
>> > forth 8 times) that it *only* happens with SCHED_ULE and *only* with
>> old
>> > versions (~1.50) and the very latest ones (1.75 as I'm currently
>> > running). 1.69 for instance did *not* show any such problems.
>> >
>> > I will, however, update my kernel again now, to get the latest
>> > sched_ule.c (if any changes have been made since 1.75) and to test
>> with
>> > the new interrupt handler. I have a suspicion it might be a
>> combination
>> > of SCHED_ULE and some signal/message/interrupt handling causing
>> messages
>> > to get lost along the way. Because that's exactly how it feels...
>>
>> Whee. Either the bump from sched_ule.c 1.75 to 1.77 changed something
>> back to the old status, or the new interrupt handling has had some major
>> influence.
>> All I can say is - wow. My system is now more responsive than ever, I
>> cannot (so far) reproduce any mouse jerkiness or bogus input or
>> anything, and things seem smoother.
>>
>> As always I cannot guarantee that this report is not influenced by the
>> placebo effect, but I do feel that it's a very real improvement. The
>> fact that I can start VMWare, Firebird, Thunderbird, Gaim and gkrellm at
>> the same time without having *one* mouse hickup speaks for itself. I
>> couldn't even do that with ULE.
>>
>> So Jeff or whoever did the interrupt stuff - what did you do?
>
> This is wonderful news.  I fixed a few bugs over the last couple of days.
> I'm not sure which one caused your problem.  I'm very pleased to hear
> your
> report though.

This SCHED_ULE (1.78) rocks!

I don't get any mouse lag anymore in the 'cd /usr/src ; make clean ; make
cleandir' and the beginner of 'portupgrade -ra'. I did the hard test; I
have Gnome2, Opera 7 (linux version), several gvim, several gnome-terminal
tabs, pan and even use totem to watch a movie (700mb) in full screen mode
;-).. While watching the movie and it doesn't get lag that much only while
unpack the large tarballs like mozilla. While the build and clean, it only
has very very little lag like one to two time(s) but the rest are pretty
smooth. The mouse doesn't get any lag at all.

Just let you know my experience with SCHED_ULE so far. In the command
line, I can tell that I can 'feel' it's faster but I don't know about the
real time (ie: benchmark).

It's better than SCHED_4BSD because I will get mouse lag if I do the same
thing as above with SCHED_4BSD.

BTW: I don't use KSE because of Nvidia driver.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.