sysinstall issues (was Re: Toshiba Portege R100: 5.1-JPSNAP install CD hangs)

From: Lars Eggert <larse_at_ISI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 13:47:20 -0800
Takayama Fumihiko wrote:

>>booting a Toshiba Portege R100 off Wednesday's 5.1-JPSNAP install CD
>>hangs early during the boot, with or without ACPI. It may be related to
>>probing the graphics chip, see the attached snapshot.
>>
>>I've also attached the 4.9 dmesg - 4.9 boots fine off its install CD -
>>in case that helps.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>
> R100 has problem with PnP for FreeBSD.
> My Toshiba Portege R100 on FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE can boot by below process.
>
> 1) enter BIOS setup (booting with press ESC)
> 2) [Device Config] change to "All Devices" from "Setup by OS"

Thank you very much, Fumihiko-san, that solved the booting problem!

However, I was still unable to install 5.1-JPSNAP on the machine. With
the BIOS settings you suggested, I managed to get to sysinstall. After
specifying the desired install setting, sysinstall refuses to install,
claiming it did not detect a CD/DVD drive?

The drive in question is detected during boot as:

umass0: NewAge International STORIX Optical Series, rev 2.00/0.01
(see http://www.isi.edu/larse/misc/DSC00909.JPG)

Can sysinstall not install off of USB drives?

To circumvent this issue, I copied the install CD contents onto a local
FTP server, and tried a network install. After contacting the server and
formatting the partition, sysinstall panic'ed died with an ffs panic. A
snapshot of the traceback is here:
http://www.isi.edu/larse/misc/DSC00908.JPG

Any ideas on how to pull -current onto this laptop, other then
installing -stable and compiling from scratch?

Thanks,
Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse_at_isi.edu>           USC Information Sciences Institute