Re: savecore changed?

From: Jaco H. van Tonder <freebsd-questions_at_premsoft.co.za>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 23:33:53 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug White" <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
To: "Jaco H. van Tonder" <freebsd-questions_at_premsoft.co.za>
Cc: <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: 07/11/2003 11:28 PM
Subject: Re: savecore changed?

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Jaco H. van Tonder wrote:
>
> > Doug,
> >
> > Sorry, my bad, there was no dump availible. I still dont know how I
> > would manage to get a dump if the kernel panics while busy booting (It
> > does not know about dumpdev yet?)
>
> Ouch. Yeah this is one of those times when you can't grab a dump.  You can
> compile DDB in and at least poke around.
>
> You do have a listing of the panic & boot messages up to the point of the
> panic, yes? If not this would be a good time to learn about serial
> console.

I will investigate serial console, but I do have physical access to the
machine, and I do have a monitor on it, but it reboots so quickly, its just
a flash of the panic, and the system reboots. :( I cannot make out a thing
exept for "12" which I assume is part of ``Fatal trap 12'' - something.

I do have DDB compiled in, but I will leave the ``poking around'' for the
hackers. :P

Jaco