Re: Kernel memory leak in ATAPI/CAM or ATAng?

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:57:24 -0800
> Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:43:47 -0700
> From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Tested. It's much better, although ATA request keeps adding more
> > memory all the time when mplayer is playing, but it's now increasing
> > at about 20K/minute which is a huge improvement. Still, I don't
> > understand why it should just continue to grow all of the time. The
> > data rate is about constant. I would expect that it should grow to a
> > size where the data being processed can be accommodated and then stop
> > growing. I don't see it stopping.
> >
> > Thanks for the quick fix.
>
> Well, it sounds like there is still a memory leak somewhere.  Make sure
> that you have rev 1.27 of atapi-cam.c to be sure.  If so, please let me
> know which malloc type in vmstat -m is growing.

Oh, crap! I guess I pulled the new version too quickly yesterday when
your message arrived. I had 1.26. And I don't have a DVD with me, so I
was seeing a much slower leak because the CD transfers data so much
more slowly.

After a kernel rebuild I see:
ATA request     0     0K      1K     7285  128
after reading some bulk data off of a CD.

Thanks!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)