Re: atheros (ath) driver - media option

From: Johann Hugo <jhugo_at_icomtek.csir.co.za>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 06:23:09 +0200
On Wednesday 12 November 2003 00:54, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Not sure what you're trying to accomplish by setting the media when
> operating in hostap mode.  It should be ignored, but I'm not sure exactly
> what will happen.  Locking the tx rate on the client side makes more sense
> and should be honored correctly.

Maybe I should give you some more info here. We currently have a 30km
 wireless link to a remote site:

Lucent/orinoco AP -----30km ----- FreeBSD client with Lucent adapter.

The problem is that over that distance the SIFS counter expires on most of
 the packets before we receive a ACK on the other side. So the throughput is
 way down.

I've decided to installed a parallel/experimental  link on another frq. so
that I can play around with the atheros driver/cards and also 11g. The second
link looks something like this:

FreeBSD/HostAP/Atheros ----- 30km ------ FreeBSD/Soekris/Client/Atheros

The problem is:
(mode 11b media DS/1Mbps)
HostAP TX = 11Mbps  --------- 30km -----Client RX at 11Mbps not OK
HostAP RX at 1Mbps = OK  ----- 30km ----- Client TX at 1Mbps

(mode 11g media OFDM/6Mbps)
HostAP TX = 54Mbps  --------- 30km -----Client RX at 54 Mbps not OK
HostAP RX at 1Mbps = OK  ----- 30km ----- Client RX at 54 Mbps not OK

So I am trying to force the max TX rate on both ends to a lower speed.

Another question:
Do you have control over the SIFS counter. Is there a way to adjust the
counter so that it will be more tolerant to longer links, or is it possible
to disable the ACK's for unicast packets ?
http://lists.nocat.net/pipermail/nocat/2002-April/001223.html

Johann