Re: Unattended reboot was Re: signal 12's everywhere on Current with update this morning.

From: masta <masta_at_wifibsd.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:03:13 -0600 (CST)
Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> eculp_at_encontacto.net writes:
>
>>I'm building new kernels as I write this.  My next question is:
>>One of the machines I'm building on is remote and was last rebuilt
>>just before the change.  What would be be better sequence for making
>>the change after a fresh cvsup ?
>

> RTFM.
>
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> reboot
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> reboot
>
> DES

I found that if I put /rescue in my PATH before all the normal stuff,
things tend to work (like ls).  For me I got caught doing the:
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=FOO
make installkernel
mergemaster
make installworld

BAM! installworld fails, and the signal 12's start to manifest.
I'm afraid to reboot at this point, and decided to backup my stuff before
proceeding with anything (rebooting) that might result in my system
becoming utterly useless. Should I manually copy the items in /usr/obj to
their final destination, or take my chances with a reboot? Maybe wait for
the jpsnap to catchup and boot a -current livecd to finish the
makeinstall? I'm seeking the path of least resistance which involves
anything other than flattening my -current install.

Thanks in advance =)

unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

masta_at_wifibsd.org
http://wifibsd.org