FreeBSD current, apache and php4 woes

From: Claus Guttesen <cguttesen_at_yahoo.dk>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:20:15 +0100 (CET)
Hi.

I'm getting a bit desperate here. I recently moved our
web-servers from Linux, php4 4.1 and apache 1.3.20 to
FreeBSD 5.1 (mostly frozen branch), php 4.3.4 and
apache 1.3.29.

My problem is that the web-servers keep rebooting for
no apperant reason. They are up for about 20-24 hours
and then go down and up, with no message in the
message-log (other than that the filesystems weren't
unmounted properly etc.

The two web-servers are Dell Poweredge 1750 with dual
Xeon _at_ 3 Ghz. One is running the frozen 5.1 and the
other is running current as of Nov. 9'th. They are
performing well, the latter a bit faster than the
former. Both have 2 GB RAM.

The two other web-servers are based on an ASUS
motherboard and have dual Xeons _at_ 2.4 Ggz. One is
running frozen branch and one is running current as of
Oct. 30'th. The first has 2 GB RAM and the latter 1
GB.

The server with Oct. 30'th source appears to be the
most stable having been up for a couple of days.

After a draft to this mail was written I was "lucky"
to get some output to the screen (which is the first
time since we migrated):

panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small:
275251200 total allocated cpuid = 0; lapic.id =
00000000

Searching the archives indicated that the thread
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=717480+728561+/usr/local/www/db/text/2003/freebsd-current/20031005.freebsd-current
was very like my situation.

We are using php and imagemagick and are getting a lot
of empty files related to our web-pages. So /tmp and
/var/tmp is often used.

I have a crontjob which clean files older than 12
hours.

The two Dell-servers rebooted last nigth at three
o'clock in the morning indicating that the
/etc/periodic/daily scripts were running. I have also
been able to provoke a reboot finding and deleting
lots of tmp-files.

The problems did not show up while we tested them
internally.

How do I change system/kernel-parameters so I can
avoid the reboots? If I had the time I could have
investigated more on my own but my FreeBSD-migration
is on a thin line at work.

Disabling SMP is not an option.

I made the transition from Linux to FreeBSD arguing
that 1) it was at least as stable as Linux 2) I was
the one going to maintain the servers. So FreeBSD is
(unfortunately) _not_ very hot _at_ work.

A dmesg can be supplied if needed.

Regards
Claus

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan