Re: HEADS-UP new statfs structure condidered harmful

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon_at_apollo.backplane.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:59:02 -0800 (PST)
:Expect to have to recompile the entire fricking world for a change
:this fundamental.
:
:Really, what should have appened is that the system call interface
:for stat should have been retired as "ostat", a new system call
:interface introduced, and the libc version number bumped, given a
:change this fundamental.
:
:Effectively, this will destroy binary backward compatability for
:everything in the world.
:
:-- Terry
:freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org mailing list

    I recommend that instead of rolling these sorts of system calls over
    and over again (how many versions of stat do we have now?  A lot!),
    that instead you make a system call which returns a capability buffer
    and then have libc load the capabilities it understands into the
    structure.  That way you don't have to worry about forwards and
    backwards kernel compatibility.

    This is what I plan to do with DragonFly for *stat(), *statfs*(),
    various sysctls that return structures, and so forth.  Wherever it makes
    sense to do it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon_at_backplane.com>