Re: acpi_cpu_idle panic (Was: Re: kernel panic with todays source)

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:20:16 +0100
On Sunday 16 November 2003 21:11, Nate Lawson wrote:
> The panic you see is a result of the new acpi_cpu driver, not ULE.  In any
> case, it appears that acpi_cpu_idle is being called and trying to read one
> of the processor control registers before they are present.  Please send
> me privately the output of:
>    acpidump -t -d > harald-MachineType.asl
>
> As a workaround, please set this in loader.conf:
>    debug.acpi.disable="cpu"
>
> That will allow you to get running and give me some time to look into
> this.

Now I followed your advise and found out the following (source from some hours
ago, 4BSD scheduler, and the acpidump went away to you by private mail)
The panic only occurs if the nvidia.ko module is was loaded.
I use it straight from the ports.
But your sysctl tweak keeps the whole thing working (I'm writing with kmail)!

Hope this helps (anyway, this driver is absolutle mandatory for my
workstation!)

Thanks,

-Harry