Re: upgraded to CURRENT = system is dead

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:17:12 -0500
At 10:37 AM +0100 11/17/03, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot_at_lphp.org> writes:
>>  Here is what I did:
>>  $ cvsup blablabla...
>  > $ make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL &&
>  >        make install kernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>
>There's not much point in 'make buildkernel' if you haven't
>done 'make buildworld' first.

Uh.  /usr/src/UPDATING explicitly says:

20031112:
    [...]  You should build and boot a new kernel BEFORE doing a
    `make world' as the new kernel will know about binaries using
    the old statfs structure, but an old kernel will not know
    about the new system calls that support the new statfs
    structure.

We generally recommend doing a buildworld first, but it has
to be done in a different order for this upgrade.

However, if I am correctly reading the section quoted from
Antione's message, the problem might be that he did:

              'make install kernel ...'
instead of:  'make installkernel ...'

Users need to specify a single target of 'installkernel',
with no blanks between the two words.  Antoine, was that
just a typo, or did you really do 'make install kernel'?

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org