Re: Machine freeze when X starts

From: Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root_at_pukruppa.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:52:40 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 d.wylie_at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> [...]
At least we can be sure that something went completely wrong with
this weekend's sources. I had similar symptoms (X crashing, basic
commands not working), but was lucky enough, not to be completely
locked out. With some help from this list I could rebuild the OS.
X and Metacity work again, but Nautilus still crashes.

Jens, did you try to reload your old kernel?

boot /boot/kernel.old

Perhaps this gives you a little more than the power button.

Uli.

> > Best regards,
> > Jens

> I've got a freezing compaq presario when using the trident driver.
> The power button is then the only option.
> When using the vesa driver, there's no freezing.
> Must add though that I had this problem with every 5.x, and not 4.8.
> It seems to be a xfree server thing for this machine.
> Have you tried the vesa driver?
>
> Dylan

	|    Peter Ulrich Kruppa    |
        |         Wuppertal         |