Re: Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:46:29 -0600
In the last episode (Nov 18), M. Warner Losh said:
> In message: <200311181307.hAID7uHa032514_at_dyson.jdyson.com>
>             dyson_at_iquest.net writes:
> : It really doesn't make sense to arbitrarily cut-off a discussion
> : especially when a decision might be incorrect.
>
> I'd say that good technical discussion about why this is wrong would
> be good.  However, emotional ones should be left behind.  Except for
> John's message, most of the earlier messages have been more emotional
> than technical.
>
> John, do you have any good set of benchmarks that people can run to
> illustrate your point?

Pretty much any benchmark that you can build statically and dynamically
should suffice.  I've attached a simple one that fills an array with
random numbers then qsorts them.  "make compare" will generate three
graphs at the end: time spent loading the executable, time spent within
the loops, and total time.  Note that both load and loop timings are
higher for the dynamic binary.  I ran it on a busy system, which is why
there are so many outliers.  Make sure you have
src/tools/tools/ministat installed someplace in your path.

Also see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-April/001106.html ,
where I had posted proc/pid/maps for a static and dynamic ls.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com