Re: Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

From: Gordon Tetlow <gordont_at_gnf.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:54:33 -0800
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:03:23PM -0500, dyson_at_iquest.net wrote:

> However, PAM and NSS 'tricks' really seem to be exactly that,
> and certainly worthy of special builds.  However, that isn't
> necessary, yet still not building everything with a shared
> libc.

Things like nss_ldap (which is used *heavily* at my place of employment)
are some reasons that FreeBSD doesn't make it into more places. It was
the reason why FreeBSD isn't being used here. Calling them 'tricks'
(and succumbing to the name calling you wanted to avoid) doesn't change
the fact that every major contender (IRIX, Solaris, Linux to name a few)
all support this feature set.

-gordon