Re: another trap 12 while in kernel mode

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:52:36 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> I am regularly getting those but unfortunately I neither have DDB in
> that kernel nor can get a crash dump nor do I have built wie DEBUG=-g.
>
> Is there anything more I can do apart from rebuilding kernel with
> support of all the missing debugging flags (which is in progress) ?

You should still be able to turn the bad instruction pointer into at least
a function name using nm on your compiled kernel.  Run nm on the kernel
binary, and search through it until you find the symbols just before
(lower) and just after (higher) than the value listed for the instruction
pointer below.  That would at least tell us what function the fault is
occuring in.  I suspect to get anywhere useful, we'll need the full
debugging results, but it's probably a useful start, and it will allow us
to be sure the panics you might get after you have debugging support
compiled in are the same failure mode.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories