Re: Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:52:19 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Nov 19), Richard Coleman said:
> > I don't really care whether everything is statically or dynamically
> > linked.  With the fast machines and huge disks these days, bloat is not
> > much of an issue.  But nss and pam need to work correctly.  If the folks
> > that are against dynamic linking have an alternate method to make this
> > work, I'm all for it.  But it needs to be more than theory.  We need code.
> >
> > To be honest, I've never understood the (seemingly irrational)
> > resistance against this change.  Solaris made this change 10 years ago.
>
> Not completely:
>
> $ uname -a
> SunOS pd1 5.9 Generic_112233-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
> $ file /bin/sh
> /sbin/sh:       ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, statically linked, stripped
> $ file /sbin/* | grep statically | cut -d: -f1 | fmt
> /sbin/autopush /sbin/fdisk /sbin/jsh /sbin/mount /sbin/sh
> /sbin/soconfig /sbin/sync /sbin/umount /sbin/uname

Seems to depend a bit on the install, maybe...

raven:~> uname -a
SunOS raven 5.8 Generic_108528-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
raven:~> file /bin/sh /sbin/sh
/bin/sh:        ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
/sbin/sh:       ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, statically linked, stripped

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories