Re: VMWare build failure

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:53:57 -0600
Scott Likens wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 12:38, Ben Paley wrote:
>

>>Hello all.
>>
>>I think this is a -current issue. When I started using -current I began to get
>>weird behaviour from vmware2: eventually every time I powered on the virtual
>>machine the screen would freeze up so I couldn't get a console, and then the
>>whole machine - the REAL machine, I mean - would reboot. Bit rubbish, huh?
>>

>[snip]
>
>First off if you're running -CURRENT you want emulators/vmware3, missing
>header would conclude you don't have the header installed that it wants.
>
>Guessing you're running -CURRENT you have the kernel source installed,
>so my suggestion is to run vmware3.
>
>Unless you have a specific reason to run 2?

Maybe he doesn't run 3 because it also doesn't build:

/usr/ports/emulators/vmware3/work/vmware-distrib/vmmon-only/freebsd/driver.c:303:35:
i386/isa/intr_machdep.h: No such file or directory
/usr/ports/emulators/vmware3/work/vmware-distrib/vmmon-only/include/vm_asm.h:
In function `Div643264':
/usr/ports/emulators/vmware3/work/vmware-distrib/vmmon-only/include/vm_asm.h:1033:
warning: use of memory input without lvalue in asm operand 4 is deprecated
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3/work/vmware-distrib/vmmon-only.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3/work/vmware-distrib/vmmon-only.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3/work/vmware-distrib.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3.

So same thing with vmware3 - note that the file (intr_machdep.h) doesn't
exist in that location - but it does in other locations.  I tried
copying one of the others over to that spot, and rebuilding, but still
fails (with new errors as expected)..

:(

Eric

All generalizations are false, including this one.