Re: grub on -current?

From: Matthias Schuendehuette <msch_at_snafu.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:34:55 +0100
Hi Nate,

On Friday 21 November 2003 21:11, Nate Lawson wrote:
> Is anyone using this successfully?  I had to install it from Linux.
> The grub.conf below works when installed by the Linux grub-install
> but FreeBSD's port always fails with the below messages.  Package:
> grub-0.92

Yes, I'm using grub but yes, I also installed from Linux. The problem
seems to be GEOM, which doesn't allow to write the bootsector to a disk
which has mounted filesystems on it. So if you have / on the bootdisk,
there's no chance but to boot grub from floppy and install it from
there.

Ahm, nearly. There seems to be a sysctl (...geom.debug=16 ?) which
allows to write the bootsector, but you better ask phk directly - I'm
not sure...
--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)
PGP-Key at <pgp.mit.edu> and <wwwkeys.de.pgp.net> ID: 0xDDFB0A5F