Re: xl0: watchdog timeout

From: Matt Smith <matt_at_xtaz.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:44:21 +0000
Jimmy Selgen wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 21:29, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:22:49PM +0100, Jimmy Selgen wrote:
>>I saw this with some of sam's locking changes that (temporarily) broke
>>DUMMYNET.  I see you're using ipfilter - it's possible that this
>>configuration has not been well-tested.  Are you passing much traffic
>>through ipfilter on this box?
>
> The box in question is my workstation, so I guess i'm not passing that
> much traffic through ipfilter. Also, when I said that the NIC still
> worked, I might have mislead you a bit. I had about 5-10 timeouts while
> scp'ing the dmesg output to my other workstation.
> Data seems to move from userland to the kernel, then get stuck in
> buffers there for 10-15 seconds, "generating" timeouts, before they're
> shipped off. I assume this is expected behaviour when a NIC isnt
> behaving correctly.
>

>>It would be helpful if you can do a binary search to narrow down when
>>the problem started.
>
> What would you have me search ? I'm a faily seasoned C programmer (12
> years experience, some of them doing RTOS kernel work), but dont know
> much about FreeBSD kernel development, or the process of checking out
> different kernel revisions.
>

> I've tried a build without IPFILTER, and the problem still exists.
> I've also tried booting with ACPI disabled, and the problem is still
> there.
>
> I have attached a copy of my kernel config file, in case i'm doing
> something wrong.

<snip kernel file>

I have just noticed that my xl0 card is misbehaving as well. I have a
3c905c in my desktop and noticed that an ftp of a file from another
machine on the lan (100 meg switched) was only going at around 70KB/sec.
Normally I get around 9MB/sec.

A netstat -bi xl0 shows lots of errors:

Name    Mtu Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs     Ibytes
  Opkts Oerrs     Obytes  Coll
xl0    1500 <Link#1>      00:04:76:8d:c5:fd  3081878 217616 3778632119
2451968     6  368229701     0

I also have this in my messages file:

xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 180 bytes
xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 240 bytes
xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 300 bytes
xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 360 bytes
xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 420 bytes

I do not currently have any debugging options compiled into this kernel.

FreeBSD fraggle.xtaz.co.uk 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #0: Tue Nov
18 20:05:52 GMT 2003
root_at_fraggle.xtaz.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FRAGGLE  i386

I am actually in the process of building a new world/kernel to update it
again as I thought it might be something that's fixed. I unfortunatly
can not boot the old kernel to see if it works fine in that because of
the statfs changes so it *could* possibly be the NIC has gone funny.

I also have a 3c905a and a 3c905b in my router machine and this is
showing no issues at all with the same dated kernel.

Matt.