Re: 5.2-BETA lockup

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:30:30 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Matt Smith wrote:

> Since updating two of my machines to the latest HEAD I am experiencing a
>   total lockup on one of them.
>
> After being booted for approx 3 minutes the machine stops responding
> completely. It doesn't panic or drop into DDB. The numlock key doesn't
> toggle the keyboard light, and I can't drop it into DDB manually.
>
> I have full debugging options compiled in to this kernel as per the
> usual -CURRENT GENERIC file.
>
> It's currently booted with the older kernel from the 16th and this is
> stable as a rock.
>
> Anything else I can do to find the problem out or workaround it
> considering it just hangs?
>
> The machine is a router running two 3com network cards (xl) and
> IPFW/natd. It also has IPV6 with IP6FW, and a gif tunnel.

Any chance you could hook up a serial console, set BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER in
kernel options, and see if a serial break drops you to DDB over serial?
Under some circumstances a serial break can be more effective getting into
the debugger than a console break.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories