Re: em0 on install

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 03:22:14 +0100
> >> trying to install using the 5.1-release mini cd and em0.  it seems not
> >> to dhcp (looked with tcpdump) despite my saying Yes (and no to ipv6).
> >> am i missing a clue?

[snip]

> this is a thinkpad t40p.  4.9-release cdrom boots through to em0
> media just fine, and i just retested that assertion without moving
> any wires etc.

I have seen this on the T40p. The "solution" is to disable the cardbus
support.

I have detailed my experience with this laptop at

   http://www.scode.org/freebsdt40p.html

The relevant part is this:

"The gigabit ethernet interface - em0 - worked perfectly during installation.
When I booted the resulting system however, it no longer worked. The driver
failed to load properly during boot with an error regarding the EEPROM
checksum being invalid. I found this post which indicated the em0 driver
"broke" support on the X31 somewhere between 5.0-RELEASE and 5.1-RELEASE. I
tried using the old 5.0 driver in 5.1, aswell as removing the checksum check
in the 5.1 driver. No luck. I eventually figured out that the pcmcia support
seemed to break just about everything, including the em driver. When the
cardbus bridge (cdb) was commented out in the kernel configuration, em0
suddenly worked perfectly. So basically, a good idea in general is to strip
down unused stuff in the kernel configuration, but specifically the cardbus
bridge. "

This is the post referenced in the above paragraph:

   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-i386/2003-June/000047.html

(note: i'm not on -current, so please CC any responses that are meant for me
to respond to, thanks!)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org