Re: Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:43:23 -0800
On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:47:24AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> It strikes me that this whole conversation has gotten a little
> confrontational...  The "middle ground" of adding a static /sbin/sh for
> scripts soudds like a reasonable choice, and has precedent in other
> systems (Solaris).

Time for a pdksh import!  We can install it as the dynamic /bin/sh, and
there is precedent in other systems (Solaris) for /bin/ksh.

The issue with static /sbin/sh is that we have to fix all the base
scripts (doable), and then try to educate people that they need to do the
same to their scripts (very hard to do).

> Someone must be using /bin/sh as a shell, because apparently someone
> spent a lot of time adding things like character input editing,
> filename completion, etc.

Filename complete isn't in stock /bin/sh as its a private hack someone
did, it is a hack and isn't commitable.