Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Richard Coleman <richardcoleman_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:43:29 -0500
Tim Kientzle wrote:

> David O'Brien wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:08:58PM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>>
>>> ... I think [/rescue] only needs to support those
>>> recovery actions necessary to repair /bin and /sbin if they break.
>>

>> My stance is that no failure mode needs to
>> be repairable that wasn't repairable with a static /.
>

> I'm willing to compromise, David.
>
> Here's what I suggest:
>
>  * I could support removing vi/ex from /rescue.
>
>  * In exchange for this concession, would you be willing
>    to support adding fetch?
>
> I expect this exchange would result in a net 150-200 kB
> savings in /rescue.
>
> How about it?
>
> Tim

I think a better compromise is to add the make.conf option so that extra
utilities may be added to /rescue.  Then leave both vi and fetch out of
the default.

With the size of disk drives these days, (for my own setup) I'm tempted
to just add a complete copy of /bin and /sbin into /rescue.  The extra
100 meg doesn't take much out of a 80 gig hard drive.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman_at_mindspring.com