Re: 40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin_at_cs.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:55:31 -0500 (EST)
Daniel O'Connor writes:

 > It is _trivial_ to buildworld with a static root.

Then its equally trivial to build with a dynamic root.  Please do so,
and don't wreck the performance of the OS I've used since 1994.

 > Why didn't you pipe up when this was discussed _long_ ago?

In the orginal thread, there was an agreement that the performance
would be measured BEFORE the default was changed, and the default
would only be changed if there was no measurable performance impact.
I believe sam_at_ asked for this.  As far as I know, performance
measurments were never done.  Instead, the switch was thrown just
before the code freeze.

 > If you are deploying FreeBSD on servers you should build your own release
 > anyway (which is hardly an onerous task).

Its pretty hard to use the binary update tools that way.

Drew