Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Maxim M. Kazachek <stranger_at_sberbank.sibnet.ru>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:10:12 +0600 (NOVT)
>[ From: set to /dev/null as too many can't follow the Reply-To: ]
>
>On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:00:24AM -0500, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>> > NO.  /rescue was allowed in the system to handle the case of a trashed
>> > file in /lib[exec].  To allow a sysadmin to recover a system from the
>> > same type of mishaps they could before we went to a dynamic /.
>>
>> Ie, let's do things the same way we did in 1994?  Other things have
>> changed since then, hard drives and typical root partitions are much
>> bigger, and Tim estimated the total bloat from this as 64k.  Maybe
>> earlier, pre-/rescue, you couldn't recover from damaged files in the
>> root partition without a CD/floppy/NFS, it doesn't mean you should not
>> have that capability in /rescue.
>
>Lets have /rescue/{[s]bin,usr/[s]bin}.  Install static copies of every
>thing in /[s]bin and /usr/[s]bin today.  That will let you recover in
>even more ways.
>
>Where does it end if we don't go full-out and install a 2nd copy of every
>binary?
>

>> For a *lot* of people today (like home users), an up-to-date FreeBSD
>> CD or floppy or a second machine to create the disk on may not be
>> handy (and forget about NFS), but a network connection may still be
>> available.
>
>That network connection would most likely be a M$-Win box in that case,
>which doesn't have an FTP server.  Samba, not an FTP client should be in
>/rescue then.
	There are a lot of FTP servers for M$ Windows... At least
IIS/PWS... :-) IMHO, Microsoft gives it to all, neglecting whether they
need it or not. :-) So, FTP server is not concern. /rescue/fetch MAY help
to recover RUINED FreeBSD from ashes... As /rescue/mount_cd9660, or
mount_msdosfs... In other words we can drom mount_msdosfs from /rescue
just because almost everybody can burn CD... We will save a few KBytes of
space (that isn't really needed on modern disks), but we will loose
functionality... For me, having /rescue/fetch is a good thing, just
because it can REALLY help me to recover fallen system.

   Sincerely, Maxim M. Kazachek
       mailto:stranger_at_sberbank.sibnet.ru
       mailto:stranger_at_fpm.ami.nstu.ru