Re: memory allocation issue loading a kernel module

From: Sean McNeil <sean_at_mcneil.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:53:39 -0800
Oh, I absolutely agree.  I do not want any hacks.  I was hoping that
there might be an existing mechanism that was in place that would allow
for the purging of unused physical pages by resource hogs.

I am reminded of an old OS I was fond of: AmigaOS.  It had a real nice
feature where applications, drivers, etc. would register a "low memory"
callback.  Whenever the OS reached certain water-marks, these callbacks
would get invoked.  It was a nice clean way for shared libraries and
drivers to cache things in memory, but then throw them away when things
got tight.

It is not a big deal for me.  This is for a customer of mine and they
are OK with loading the module early during boot when memory isn't
fragmented yet.

Just thinking "out text",
Sean