Re: How to fix this in 5.1-REL??

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:51:15 -0800
On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 06:51:15PM -0800, walt wrote:
> Brooks Davis answered:
>
> walt asked:
> >>What does 'buildworld' give us that the new kernel might need?
>
> >The correct toolchain including the compiler and config(8).
>
> Okay, thanks, that helps.
>
> Just thinking out loud about worst-case examples for people who
> do routinely use 'make world' (like I have for several years).
>
> I found out first-hand why installworld quits halfway through
> when the new executables won't run on the old kernel.  I need no
> further education on that point ;-)
>
> I'm thinking, though, that doing 'make kernel' first has a much
> lower potential for disaster than 'make world':  if I reboot after
> a 'make kernel' and the new kernel won't run on the old world, then
> all I need to do to recover is to boot the old kernel again and
> 'make buildworld'. Seems difficult to do any real harm this way.
>
> Is this completely wrong-headed?  Am I missing something important?

If you don't build world before building a kernel you may not be able to
build a kernel because you may not have toolchain features required to
build it.  If it builds, it's probably ok, but it may not build, so your
should do a "make buildworld" first.  As the statfs change demonstrates,
you should install a new kernel before attempting to install a new
world.  These requirements lead to our recomended order.  No other order
will insure that you can recover at each step.

It it worth noting, that neither the buildworld or buildkernel targets
have any effect on the running system other then consuming resources
so they are always safe.  They may not work, but they won't break your
install.  It's the installation stage that can get you in trouble if you
don't do it right.

-- Brooks