Re: requesting vinum help

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:34:47 +1030
On Wednesday, 26 November 2003 at 12:04:52 -0600, Cosmin Stroe wrote:

> I am using vinum atm, and I am having serious problems with it.  After
> about 16 hrs of writing data to a vinum volume via NFS at a constant data
> stream of 200k/sec and reading at 400k/sec at the same time, the whole
> machine just freezes, hard.  The only thing I can do is reboot.  This
> behavior appears in 4.8 and 5-CURRENT.  I have no indication of what is
> wrong, or how to go about finding it out.  The problem is either with NFS
> or Vinum, and I'm leaning towards Vinum (because of the failure in both
> -STABLE and -CURRENT).
>
> I'm not the kind of person that relies on other people, and I like to fix
> my own problems, but this is a problem which I cannot fix at this time.
> So, I'm planning to look through the code of vinum and start messing with
> it to figure out how it works and how to debug it.

This is unlikely to get you very far.  Some more details (offline if
you prefer) would be handy, but as you say, you can't even be sure
that it's Vinum.  The best thing would be to get the system into the
kernel debugger at the point of freeze, if that's possible, and try to
work out what has happened.

> What would also be appreciated is an overall "map" of how vinum is
> organized and how it works.

You've read the documentation on http://www.vinumvm.org/, right?  If
you have any questions, I'm sure it can be improved on.

Greg