Re: 5.2-BETA: giving up on 4 buffers (ata)

From: Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen_at_piwebs.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:11:04 +0100
On Thursday 27 November 2003 10:43, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 19:37, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when I rebooted my 5.2-BETA (kernel about 24 hours old), it gave up on
> > flushing 4 dirty blocks.
> >
> > I had three UFS1 softdep file systems mounted on one ATA drive, one
>
> ext2
>
> > file system on another ATA drive and one ext2 file system on a SCSI
> > drive.  Both ext2 file systems had been mounted read-only, so they
>
> can't
>
> > have had dirty blocks.
>
> This is a known problem for nearly three months now (See PR 56675). It
> happens to me every time I shut down the system if i don't unmount my
> (read-only) ext2 file systems manually.

I have this same problem, but I only have ufs1 partitions, all mounted r/w. It
seemed to appear about 3 weeks ago, so there has to be a commit in this
timeframe that caused it.

An extra inconvenience is that I always lose one or two files when I shutdown
due to ATA write caching - if I turn it off, I don't lose files, but my
system is too slow.

Doing a manual 'sync' before shutting down seems to help.

Arjan