FYI: VMware Workstation, ACPI support for FreeBSD guest

From: Makoto Matsushita <matusita_at_jp.FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:03:24 +0900
Just FYI for people who run FreeBSD on VMware 4:

Several days before, VMware releases new beta version of VMware
Workstation 4 (actually 4.1 beta), bulid-6568, to alpha testers
including myself.

I've fetched Windows host version, runs on my PC, start my FreeBSD
5-current guest, and found that finally VMware supports ACPI for
FreeBSD guest machine (actually, VMware 4.0.5 supports ACPI, but if
you setup VM as FreeBSD guest, ACPI is disabled).

It works as it should be; you can find that psm0 and other expected
devices are connected to acpi0 bus, acpi_cpu reports that throttling
is enabled, etc.  Moreover, it seems that long standing "random/slower/
faster clock-time bug" is resolved!

If you have interested into VMware's ACPI implementation, here you are:

http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~matusita/VMware-4/dmesg.boot
http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~matusita/VMware-4/vmware.asl
http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~matusita/VMware-4/vmware.dsdt

***

Please note that this is about FreeBSD as VMware's *guest* OS, not
as *host* OS.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' Matsushita