Re: Anybody using gp driver?

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:31:27 +0100
In message <20031128172611.GA39650_at_pmp.uni-hannover.de>, Gerrit =?iso-8859-1?Q?
K=FChn?= writes:
>On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 05:03:22PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> >BTW: Are there more people around (except for you and me :-) who would like
>> >to see decent gpib-support in FreeBSD?
>
>> Yes, me.
>
>I might have guessed it.
>Is there anything around FreeBSD you're not working with or on? ;-)

sound cards :-)

>> I'm currently running on a hacked up "GPIB from userland" I did myself,
>> unfortunately it works well enough that I have never gotten around to
>> push it into the kernel.
>>
>> 	http://phk.freebsd.dk/patch/GPIB.tgz
>
>Perhaps I'll be able to have a look at it next week. Which gpib chipsets
>does it support (apart from NI, which seems to be some kind of standard)?

The idea was to have the generic NI API and per-chip driver code.  I
only have the old PCIIA card with the NEC chip 7210 for which I have
not been able to find a proper datasheet anywhere.

>> On the other hand, GPIB is not going to be a major market for us, but
>> merely a fringe convenience feature I suspect.
>
>Hm, FreeBSD is not supposed to do measurements and steering devices?

Sure it is, but only if there is sufficient hacker momentum will it
gain the ability and retain the ability.  GPIB has been discussed about
once per year for the last 5 year and we've gotten nowhere further
for that...