FreeBSD 5.2-BETA installation failed on VMware 4

From: Makoto Matsushita <matusita_at_jp.FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:49:56 +0900
I can remember that somebody already reports somewhere, but this
bug(?) is still standing there, so here's again:

I failed to install recent 5-current (5.2-BETA as of Nov/29/2003) to VMware
Workstation 4.x (tested with 4.0.5 and 4.1 beta).  I've observed that:

* It seems that FreeBSD misunderstands that the computer is a SMP
  machine or something like that.
* 'set kern.smp.disabled=1 to loader prompt' is not working as my
  expectation, it seems that SMP feature is still available.
* After acd/ad devices are found by kernel, VMware panics.

I've also reported this problem to VMware Inc.  However, it seems that
there's something troubles or bugs on FreeBSD.

Anybody knows what's the problem, how to fix it, or any workarounds?

-- -
Makoto `MAR' Matsushita