Re: no /dev/dsp.x

From: T Kellers <kellers_at_njit.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:27:04 -0500
On Saturday 29 November 2003 08:32 pm, Mathew Kanner wrote:
> On Nov 29, T Kellers wrote:
> > On Friday 28 November 2003 11:41 pm, T Kellers wrote:
> >
> > After fighting with the laptop for about an hour this morning before
> > class, I decided to wipe out the FreeBSD slice and start over with
> > 5.1-RELEASE.  After that install and subsequent kernel build/install with
> > device pcm, not only didn't I have any pcm line in my dmesg, but I didn't
> > have any snd_maestro3.ko entries in /boot/kernel.  Just to make sure I
> > wasn't dealing with a dead maestro3, I booted into XP and, sure enough,
> > the sound worked.
> >
> > I nuked /usr/src and /usr/obj, cvsupped the sources and the buildworld &&
> > buildkernel && installkernel is proceeding as I type this.  If this
> > doesn't work --and confidence is low-- I'm pretty near stumped.  There is
> > no difference in hardware (or BIOS settings) from the identical laptop
> > running 4.9-STABLE.
> >
> > Ideas, suggesstions, rants  welcome.
>
> 	Maybe you should try 5.2-BETA?
> 	Also, don't include device pcm in your kernel unless you have
> specific reason to, kld's should work fine.  I don't recall seeing a
> dmesg or a cat /dev/sndstat in any of your posts, you should include
> them.  Maybe even your loader.conf.
>
> 	--mat

I should have been more specific; I nuked the non-working 5.2-BETA,
reinstalled 5.1 RELEASE and then upgraded to 5.2-BETA sources as of about 6
hours ago.

Something I forgot to mention in my last post; I commented out options SMP and
options apic in the kernel.  Looks like everything is working though I
haven't actually heard sound yet --I'm about 60 miles away from the laptop.
If everything is actually working, I'll remove device pcm from the kernel on
Monday and see what happens.

Thanks,

Tim