Re: 5.2-BETA and related ports issues

From: Oliver Eikemeier <eik_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:41:33 +0100
Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 03:33:35PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>
>>Andreas Klemm <andreas_at_freebsd.org> writes:
>>
>>>I can't recommend doing it this way, since some ports I know
>>>are writing startup scripts to /etc/rc.d :-/
>>
>>That is very, very bad.  I wish we had some kind of ports QA team :(
>
> Well, er, a number of us do essentially nothing BUT ports QA.

I'm sorry if I did something disturbing, and I'm surely interested in
ports tree QA! I know that I violate the prefix, and did that on purpose,
see my comment in net/opendldap2[012]-server/Makefile:
  # currently the only way to participate in rcorder(8)

I posted PR conf/56736:
 <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/56736>
but nobody seemed to care, and I had enough construction areas that I didn't
wanted to start a discussion about that.

The point is that we might want to have some port services to start early.
That gives the possibility to move functionality from the base system to ports,
which I believe isn't bad. I can simply change the openldap ports so that they
are nice and quiet, but IMHO that does not really solve a problem. But please
correct me if my arguments are too simple-minded.

-Oliver