Re: Western Digital WD360GD SATA disk on -CURRENT

From: Will Andrews <will_at_csociety.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 02:00:51 -0500
On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 01:49:14AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> I have a host controller with the same chipset.  I was having frequent
> data corruption problems, so I asked about it on current_at_ a few days
> ago.  so_at_ offered a patch (which has now been comitted), but it didn't
> help.  Bottom line, he said to get a Promise SATA card.  Since I don't
> want to mess around with this anymore, I went to Amazon, and ordered
> one.  In looking at this output, I doubt the patch would even affect you
> since you're using the new hardware revision.
>
> For more details, check the archives for current_at_ for a thread with the
> subject, "Recent ATA drivers giving problems with SATA."

Yeah, that's what I figured.  When I looked at the change, the
fix only appears to affect rev 0x00, but my SiI3112A is 0x02.  :(

Well, I can tell you that people aren't gonna be happy when their
brand new motherboard that comes with SiI SATA builtin doesn't
work with their SATA disks (or well, just this one?).  Since
SiI's are so cheap (and fairly common), I'd consider this a
showstopper as far as SATA goes.

This thing used to work, it should be fixed.  Besides, I simply
don't have the money to spend on another SATA controller for my
main workstation just so it can run up-to-date -CURRENT.  :(

Regards,
--
wca