Re: Ports startup scripts in /etc/rc.d (Re: 5.2-BETA and related ports issues)

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 02:07:28 +0100
Richard Coleman <richardcoleman_at_mindspring.com> writes:

> But that kinda defeats the purpose of RCNG.  One of the best features of
> RCNG is that it makes it easier to add/delete applications from the
> system.  Not using it for this purpose reduces its utility.
>
> Let's not let the typical BSD traditionalism get in the way of using
> RCNG for what it's designed.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not advocating
> Linux-style integration of packages/ports.  But this seems fairly
> harmless.

Ports belong into /usr/local, not into /etc. There should be some hook
that allows port start scripts to run before some base system scripts,
and if Oliver's two-staged "reevaluate" approach supports this with /
and /usr in separate partitions, then why not take his suggestion?

There's nothing that prevents RCNG from stretching out its fangs to
/usr/local/etc/rc*, in fact, hier(7) encourages that.

If I get the picture right, what's suggested is that after mounting
local file systems, the RC order is re-evaluated, and again after
mounting remote file systems ("diskless"). This would allow the system
to gradually complete its /etc/rc* picture.

Another idea would be to use unionfs or something to keep
/usr/local/etc/rc.d in the root partition for real, and when it's
shadowed by the actual /usr/local or /usr mount, punch a hole so you can
look at the rootfs with unionfs or something. I'd like Oliver's
suggestion better though.

--
Matthias Andree