Re: Ports startup scripts in /etc/rc.d (Re: 5.2-BETA and related ports issues)

From: David O'Brien <dev-null_at_nuxi.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:59:52 -0800
On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 11:47:24PM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Maxim M. Kazachek wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Richard Coleman wrote:
..snip..
> For 5.2-CURRENT, I think we should revisit this issue with one of the
> following conclusions winning out, and the rest being discarded as
> flame-bait:
>
> (1) Combine / and /usr into a single file system by default, and add
>     /usr/local/etc/rc.d to the search order, with appropriate hacks to
>     handle old-style scripts.  The devil will be in the bikeshed, but the
>     implementation is easy, except for the bit where we explain that
>     NFS-mounted /usr/local won't work too well.

I would like to show support for this option.  I've been running /usr on
the / partition on *all* my FBSD machines for the past 4 years.  The
reasons for having a separate / and /usr just don't apply today.  Disks
are large enough to hold both, and UFS(FFS) is stable.

Sun and SGI both combine / and /usr on their pre-installed workstation
machines.